How did the Regulating District evolve?
1895: The concept of flood
protection in New York State through dams and reservoirs
is first suggested.
1913: The New York State Legislature passes
the Burd Amendment allowing the use of 3% of the New York
State Forest Preserve for the purpose of
creating reservoirs to regulate stream flow.
Construction of the Conklingville
Dam to Regulate Flows
on the Sacandaga and Hudson Rivers.
1915: The New York State
Legislature passes the Machold Storage Law, enabling the
creation of a river regulating district.
1919: The Black River Regulating District
1922: The Hudson River Regulating District
1924: The Stillwater Reservoir on the Beaver River
in the Black River Area is enlarged by raising an existing dam to increase
capacity and control.
1930: The Conklingville Dam
on the Sacandaga River in the Hudson River Area is constructed
creating the Sacandaga Reservoir.
1959: The New York State
Legislature combines the Hudson River and the Black River
Regulating Districts to form the Hudson River-Black River
2002: The Federal Energy
Regulatory Commission issues a FERC license to the Regulating
District for the Great Sacandaga Lake, which incorporates the
Upper Hudson/Sacandaga River Offer of Settlement.
2005: On September 26, 2005 the Regulating
District celebrated the 75th anniversary
of the completion of the Conklingville Dam and the creation
of the Great Sacandaga Lake.